Thursday 10 May 2012

Birthday Cakes Part Two


Hello fellow bakers and cake fiends! Deadline time has felt like a long, desolate, cakeless place but WOOHOO because it is finally all over. I have now scarily completed my second year at university. Now, I know I said I wouldn’t be doing any baking because of deadlines, but that is an absolute lie because I am a notoriously bad stress/procrastination/do ANYTHING else baker. Also it’s been one of those times of year where every person I know seems to have a birthday …sooo here we have Birthday Cakes Part Two!

Krispy Kreme Birthday Cake


I made this for my friend who is a bit of a Krispy Kreme fanatic. He was actually given FOUR cakes for his birthday from various friends so there was a lot of baking-love being spread about the place.
I made it by baking two round cakes using a 6 egg vanilla mixture. I then used a cup to cut a hole out of the middle, stuck the layers together with butter icing, and drizzled plain water icing over the top like a Krispy Kreme glaze.
Red Velvet Heart Cake




I stole my mother’s heart shaped tins from home so that I could make this pretty cake for one of my lovely creative writer’s birthdays. I used a red velvet mixture which is basically chocolate cake with red food colouring, although I don’t think I used enough colouring because apparently the cake was more ginger than red. Gingerness is apparently not only blighting my hair but also my cakes these days. Anyway, there was also an ish with crumbs that kept sticking to my icing because I stupidly decided to cover the whole thing, sides and all. However, there is nothing that a dusting of edible glitter can’t solve so it looked alright in the end!

Marble Chanel Cake




I made this for another very lovely creative writer who is also a fashionista, hence the inspiration by Coco Chanel. I made the cake marble by making a vanilla mixture and a chocolate mixture and spooning them alternatively into the tins. This cake always goes down well because it just looks so pretty! I am not particularly artistic so I wouldn’t blame you for thinking I tried to pipe chocolate horseshoes but everyone seemed to get it so oh well.

Boob Cakes



I made these for my friends surprise 21st birthday. There was an open bar so I can’t honestly say I know what happened, but apparently a whole breast went so they must have tasted alright! We also had firework candles exploding out of the nipples, because, well why not? The cake was a basic vanilla mixture with a few drops of red colouring. Then I used butter icing and jam in the middle and more butter icing on top, with a slighter darker mixture to define the nipple. When my mum texts me asking what I’m doing and I say piping a nipple on a cake I think she genuinely worries about what I do at university.



So along with horrendous days spent in the library wondering why I wanted a degree in the first place, this is what I’ve been doing. Now that I’m finished and not going home for another 3 weeks or so, I’ll hopefully bake lots, funds permitting! However if the sunshine decides to make an appearance you’ll probably see me out and about with a wine glass in my hand…

No comments:

Post a Comment