Saturday 12 May 2012

Coconut Loaf Cake


It’s at that time of the year where I’m trying to use up all the random ingredients in my cupboard rather than buying more…and I just so happened to have had half a packet of desiccated coconut knocking about, so here we go.  Also I apologise for the lack of photos. I must have been having a moment today when I was baking because it was only just before I poured the mixture into the tin that I remembered I needed photo evidence! Luckily for you lot it’s a ridiculously easy method so I think you’ll live.

Ingredients

200g self-raising flour

Pinch of salt

2 tsps of baking powder

100g butter

100g caster sugar

50g of desiccated coconut (plus extra for decoration)

Zest of half a lime

1 egg

125ml milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 4. Prepare a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper.


Combine all the ingredients except for the coconut into a large mixing bowl using an electric whisk. When the mixture is smooth add the coconut and combine using a wooden spoon or spatula.



Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when you stick it in the middle.




I also had leftover jam from the boob cakes so I cut the cake in half and filled the middle with jam. I then made some buttercream icing and slapped that on top with a sprinkling of coconut. It’s quite a crumbly mixture so I suggest eating it with a fork and a big ole mug of tea!



P.S. Bit of a plug here but I’m currently the food correspondent for my university’s newspaper The Galleon
so if you fancy following me on that then look right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment