Monday 14 January 2013

Hairy Biker's Skinny Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes


It’s January so obviously everyone is on a diet because that’s apparently how England spends the first month of every year. I don’t mind though because it gives me an excuse to try out some more recipes from The Hairy Dieters book, which my dad bought after watching the programme. I will admit I’m a bit sceptical about ‘skinny cupcakes’ because how many skinny people do you ever see actually eating cake?

At 167 calories per cake (I have no idea if this is a good thing or not) I suppose the point is some cake is better than no cake at all. I will warn you though, the texture of these are really weird. It reminds me more of a banana muffin or crumpet texture than an actual cake.

Ingredients
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
100g blueberries
Zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs
150ml low-fat natural yogurt
50ml sunflower oil
100g icing sugar
4-5 tsp lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with paper cases.
Measure out the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda.



Stir in the blueberries, sugar and lemon zest.




Beat the eggs with a fork and then add to the oil and yoghurt.



Create a well in the dry ingredients and tip the wet ones in. Quickly and gently combine everything together.


Spoon the batter into the paper cases and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown and risen. Leave them to cool on a wire rack.




To make the topping mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together and spread on top. Leave the icing to set a little before eating.


Personally I think I’d rather eat a buttery bad-for-you cupcake every once in a while rather than one of these regularly…but that’s just me.



No comments:

Post a Comment