Tuesday 22 January 2013

Simple Carrot Cake


I had a massive craving for carrot cake after we demolished one the other night made by my friend’s granny (called Betty, what a swag granny name), and since we had an army of carrots left over from Sunday dinner, I thought why the heck not? This is a simple carrot cake, the way I like it- no raisins, no funny business. I might have added some orange zest if I had any oranges, but I didn’t so there you go.  


Ingredients

125g self-raising flour

200g dark brown soft sugar

175ml vegetable/sunflower oil

2 eggs

175g grated carrots

60g walnuts, roughly chopped

½ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon ginger

Cream cheese and icing sugar to decorate

Firstly I have no idea how I’ve gone this long without blogging about a carrot cake- I actually searched my own posts to look for a recipe and there wasn’t one…Secondly, the measurements are a bit weird but that’s because the recipe is originally double the amount to make a round sandwich cake but I didn’t want one that big.

Line a square of loaf tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.




In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and spices.





Lightly beat the eggs and add them to the oil. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the eggy oil. Mix everything together.





Finely chop the walnuts and add them to the mixture.





Finally add the grated carrots, mix everything well and pour into the tin.





Bake for 30-35 minutes although be warned that depending on the size of your tin this could take longer. You can see the knife marks where I’ve repeatedly stabbed my cake wondering if it was bloody well cooked yet or not. The cake is done when a knife or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Cool the cake on a wire rack and when it’s ready make the topping.

Cream a large blob of cream cheese in a bowl and add sifted icing sugar until it forms a thick consistency. Smooth all over the cake and decorate with walnut halves if you like.







Absolutely to be consumed with a cup of tea or coffee (or if you’re like me, wine).



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, no raisins required in Carrot Cake! I like the size of your cake, too. I can't wait to make this for Sunday afternoon tea. Thanks for a lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete