Tuesday 10 July 2012

Apricot and Walnut Muffins


Hello lovelies, it’s been a while! I’ve had an amazing month gallivanting all over Eastern Europe and even managed to tan my stubborn Irish skin. I also ate some darn good cakes. The Hungarian Dobos Torta with layers of fluffy cake and chocolate icing can only really be described as banging. In Vienna we saw the café where the original Sacher Torte was created. I’m determined to make one of those very soon, but don’t shout at me if I don’t.

Anywho, I’m back at my parent’s perpetually dieting household so I’m only allowed to bake things that are ‘healthy’. This recipe hardly has any fat or sugar in because the sweetness comes from the fruit so it’s marginally better for you than a buttery cupcake. I’ll warn you though that the muffin itself is really not sweet at all so the icing on top is a necessity.
Ingredients (makes 8 muffins)
75g white plain flour
75g wholemeal plain flour
½ tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
40g caster sugar
110ml milk
50g butter, melted and cooled
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
110g fresh apricots, finely chopped
35g walnuts, finely chopped

For the Cinnamon Icing
75g icing sugar, sifted
2 tsps ground cinnamon
3 tsps water
8 walnut halves
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 5. Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl.

In a different bowl mix together the beaten egg, sugar, milk, vanilla and melted butter. I melted the butter by quickly whizzing it in the microwave for 20 seconds because I couldn’t be bothered to use a saucepan- this works just as well but make it doesn’t burn.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients using a spatula to gently fold the mixture together. Then fold in the apricots and walnuts.



Spoon the mixture into 8 muffin cases. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

When the muffins are cooled mix the icing ingredients together to make a smooth brown paste. Spoon a small blob on each muffin and top with a walnut half.





1 comment: