Tuesday 11 June 2013

Smarties Cookies


Smarties cookies a.k.a festival cookies. In case you can’t guess I’m off to kick off the summer season by working at the Isle of Wight Festival tomorrow. I have a hideous feeling that it’s going to rain the whole weekend, which would be inexcusably annoying after all the decent weather we’ve had.

For anyone that’s ever been to a festival, you’ll know that the food is disproportionately overpriced; therefore the best way to make friends is to bring cookies. You see where I’m going with this…



Ingredients
8oz butter
15oz light brown/ light muscovado sugar
2 eggs
2tsps vanilla extract
14oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp salt
5oz of Smarties


You could easily substitute the Smarties for any chocolate/sweet. Likewise with the sugar, I generally go with the rule that I use what I’ve got in the cupboard – so with this recipe I actually used half light and half dark muscovado.

Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Prepare several baking trays with parchment.

In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar.




Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat until combined.




Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt and fold into the wet ingredients.



Stir in the Smarties.



Plop large spoonfuls of mixture onto the prepared baking trays, leaving plenty of room for spreading. (You can see how spectacularly I followed my own advice here)


Bake in the oven for about 13-15 minutes, depending if you like them soft or not. They should start to brown around the edges. Cool them on a wire rack.




Then pop them into a Tupperware box and let the festi-friends come to you. Or if you’re antisocial arseholes like us, keep them all to yourselves…

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to the Isle of Wight, its on my my travel list. I am sure it will happen cos I only live in Wales. Love these cookies, will make them for nephews and nieces in the v near future.

    ReplyDelete