Friday 6 April 2012

Easter Bunny Cakes

There are so many goodies you can bake at Easter but I decided on a simple, pretty cupcake to have with a big cuppa this Good Friday. The sponge consists of a basic vanilla mixture then you can make your bunnies however you want!



Ingredients (Made 20 cakes)

4 eggs

10 0z self-raising flour

10 0z caster sugar

10 0z butter

2 teaspoons baking powder

Drop vanilla essence

Splash of milk

Being at home means I have my mother’s baking cupboard to rifle through as I please so I get to use her lovely old fashioned weighing scales and proper vanilla essence.

Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 5. Mix all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl until smooth.

Prepare a muffin tray with cases. These lovely ones are from Sainsbury’s. Fill them ¾ full with cake mixture.


Bake for twenty minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
To decorate my bunnies I first made ears by rolling out ready-made royal icing and cutting ear shapes. You wouldn’t know from these ears that I actually passed Art GCSE but hey ho, just like people, bunny ears come in all shapes and sizes…

Then I made butter icing with a large knob of butter, a dollop of cream cheese and lots of icing sugar. Because Easter Bunnies are pink, obviously, I put in a drop of Cochineal food colouring too.
Using a piping bag I swirled on some icing, stuck in a pair of ears and put three milk chocolate chips as eyes and a nose. Put them on a pretty plate then dole out to family and friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment