Sunday 10 June 2012

Raspberry and White Chocolate Blondies


My dad came up to me earlier, face full of concern. “I saw Stork and eggs in the kitchen…you’re not baking AGAIN are you?” My reply of furtive silence was met by him screaming “you’re OBSESSED.”

You’d think I was snorting crack cocaine or something the way he went on about it. I admit I have baked a lot this week, but I’ve just been so darn excited by all the EGGS and SUGAR and things I can’t afford at uni. So sorry dad, but I promise I’ll give these away to other people and not torture you by filling the kitchen with tasty things…grumblegrumblegrumble.

Anyway, I am a big fan of the humble brownie, or anything involving chocolate really. When I caught wind of the blondie I had a sort of mini baking spaz attack. I have no idea why I’ve never come across them before but there’s no going back now…
Ingredients
200g butter
150g white chocolate, roughly chopped
300g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
200g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
Scraping vanilla bean paste
125g raspberries
Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 4. Butter and line a rectangular tin with baking parchment. The one I used ended up being a bit too shallow, so I suggest a deep sided one to avoid my panic stricken oven watching to see if the mix would spill over the sides.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat and cook for around 5 minutes until it turns a lovely golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before adding half of the white chocolate. Leave it to melt for a bit before stirring until smooth. Leave to cool to the side.



Use an electric whisk to mix the muscovado sugar and eggs for about 3 minutes in a large mixing bowl.

Add the flour, salt and vanilla and fold in using a spatula.


Finally add the cooled chocolate butter and fold in gently with the spatula until combined.
Pour the mixture into the tin then sprinkle the other half of the chocolate and raspberries on top.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until dark golden on top.
Leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into 15 large squares or 30 smaller ones.


My blondies had more of a dense cake texture than a brownie one. I’m not sure what blondies are meant to be like having never made them before but they tasted amazing even if they weren’t quite right!



No comments:

Post a Comment