Tuesday 2 October 2012

Lemon Drizzle Traybake


This is one of my favourite recipes so I have no idea why I haven’t blogged it yet?! I love it because it’s because it’s so easy to make and tastes completely scrumptious. I made it for my book club which turned into pub club since no one actually had time to read the book…I don’t know what the etiquette is on randomly eating cake in the middle of a pub but I think since we all bought drinks they didn’t seem to mind.

You might also notice that I have shiny, posh pictures again. I couldn’t hack it with my semi-dead digital anymore so I used the money my granddad gave me for my 21st to buy a DSLR. Since it was my wonderful grandma who helped to teach me how to bake, I feel that she would have approved of me buying a camera simply to take pictures of cake.
Ingredients
8oz soft butter
8oz caster sugar
10oz self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
4 eggs
4 tbsp milk
Zest of 2 lemons
For topping
6oz granulated sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a rectangular baking tray with baking parchment.

Mix all the ingredients except for the lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.

Finely grate the zest and fold it into the batter.

Pour the mixture into the tin, making sure you push the batter into the corners and smooth the surface. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.

Leave to cool for a few minutes, then place the cake on top of a wire rack over some baking parchment.
Using a cocktail stick carefully prick the cake all over. Mix the sugar and lemon juice together then spoon evenly all over the cake. Leave it to cool then cut into squares.



Here’s a cheeky snap of my new camera because I laaaaave it.






1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, this recipe brings a tear to my eye.

    It is exactly what my grandma used to cook for me to take to cake sales at my school when I was a little boy to sell for charity.

    I will have to cook this up soon.

    ReplyDelete